SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 2 September 2018

Lifestyle | The rise of the reusable coffee cup x KeepCup



Honestly I'll hold my hands up and say I haven't always been the best when it comes to recycling etc and I didn't use to think twice about saying yes to a plastic bag, using multiple plastic straws in my drink or chucking away a takeaway coffee cup, however, recently I've taken a lot more interest in doing my bit to help the planet and also save me a few pennies in the long run! 



You Could Save

Pret / Patisserie Valerie 50p

Starbucks / Costa / Paul 25p

Nero 2x stamps on your loyalty card






There are many options when it comes to which reusable cup to buy, Starbucks sell one for a mere £1 and Costa sell a very similar design but with their branding for £3, however, they are both known to leak. An interesting brand to consider is Pokito (£12.50) as their cup folds down when you're not using it, making it a great lightweight and practical vessel to carry in your bag/pocket. Although if you're fussy like me and loathe drinking out of plastic bottles etc as it changes the taste of the drink,  then you should definitely try out KeepCups glass reusable cups!






KeepCup's was invented in Australia by siblings and owners of a coffee shop, as their business grew they became more aware of the amount of plastic waste they and their customers created, so the reusable cup was their answer! The KeepCup is the world's first barista-standard reusable cup as it fits under coffee machines, making it easy to hand over in coffee shops and to make your own coffee at home. Most of their designs are dish washer safe (on the top shelf) and all of the parts can be taken off so it can be cleaned thoroughly. It's completely recyclable at the end of it's life and all the parts can be bought again separately, so if you just wanted a new lid you don't need to be forced into buying an entire new cup. It's made from tough soda lime glass which isn't unbreakable but it's incredibly durable and it's BPA- Free and BPS- Free plastic.



I went for their Brew Reusable Glass Cup which was £15 from John Lewis.





They also sell 'The Original' which is made from Polyproylene, 'The Adventurer' which is made from Tritan, 'The Purist' made from Soda Lime Glass, 'The Naturalist' which is made from Soda Lime Glass and has a biodegradable cork band and needs to be hand washed, 'The LongPlay' which is made from Tritan and keeps drinks hot or cold for longer. You can turn the Brew cup, which I have, into a LongPlay by buying their booster and band separately. 



Size wise they currently offer 5 options; (I chose the 340ml (12oz)


120ml - Espresso (shot size)
180ml - Great for a stronger coffee with less milk
240ml - Very small Takeaway coffee size
340ml - Most common takeaway coffee size and similar to using a large mug
440ml - Large!








I definitely recommend this cup, I pop the lid off and just hand over the cup in a cafe, or I make a hot drink at home and take it with me for my commute. I rinse it out after use and then wash it properly once home. It isn't the lightest option for carrying around and sometimes it's not practical if you're using a small Summer bag but I do try and take it everywhere with me, even if it means having to carry a tote bag too.




I hope you enjoyed this post and it's helped you to decide which reusable cup to buy.



KEEP SMILING



Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for reading my blog, I'd love you to leave a message. Feel free to leave a link to your blog too and I will check it out.