SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 2 February 2020

Lifestyle | A mid-twenties couple weekly food budget and meal plan


I am loving all of the budget themed posts floating around on blogs and Youtube at the moment, so I thought it's only right that I put my two pennies in. I budget £30 per week for a food shop (to feed two), in which I buy x5 suppers and any extras needed. Every now and then I have to pop a little more money in the pot if I run out of pantry items & cleaning products. I do my weekly shop in Aldi and/or Lidl, this week I used both as Aldi didn't have a few bits I needed. 

When I first moved out of my family home I panicked shopped, naively arriving to the supermarket with no idea what I wanted to cook, one plastic bag and a hungry tummy. Now I spend a good half an hour planning out what meals I want to cook in the upcoming week, I check what I already have in the freezer and cupboards and I write not one, not two but three lists. On the first list I write what I need for each meal. On the second list I separate the items into veg/fruit, fridge, cupboard and freezer. This not only means I can buy a value pack if I need the same thing for multiple recipes but it also makes it easier whilst I am in the different sections of the supermarket. Last but not least my third list is written on a magnetic board in the kitchen and it's a list of which meal I am having on each day - so I can go back to list 2 and note the best by dates for each product. Then I grab my 3 favourite reusable bags for the food shop and walk to the supermarket. Get it? Got it? Good! 



Shopping List

If I had done my food shop at Tesco this would have cost me £40.82  - so not the huge savings Lidl promises on their adverts but I still saved £10 :) 

Weekly Meal Plan

Our meal plan differs week-by-week but we do always have salmon once a week and pasta a few times as it's just easy after a long day at work!


So there we have it - that's a view into my food budget per week! I hope you enjoyed this and found it helpful if you've recently moved out and are thinking about how much money to put aside for food.



1 comment :

Hello, thank you for reading my blog, I'd love you to leave a message. Feel free to leave a link to your blog too and I will check it out.