SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 18 November 2018

People Who Do Things | #11 Cafe Assistant



Welcome back to People Who Do Things, if you're new here make sure to take a look at previous interviews which feature a Dance teacher, TV Editor, Art Director and Cruise Activities Manager! Today we have Katie, a part-time Cafe Assistant at a UK leading Supermarket and Media and  Communication student.







What's your job and how long have you been doing it for? I am a cafe assistant at one the UK's biggest Supermarkets. I have been working here for around 9 months, however I was a Customer Service Assistant in another fast food environment for two years before I started this job!

What does a day at work look like for you? A day at work for me involves serving customers, making 10,000 different types of drinks, taking food orders, cooking food, prepping food for the next day, serving food, cleaning tables, loading and unloading the dishwasher.

Gosh, I'm exhausted just reading all of them! Did you always want to work in hospitality? Hospitality was never really on my list, I always used to think it would be so difficult because you're much more likely to receive customer complaints than you would if you worked in a clothing store say. I kind of fell into both of the hospitality jobs I've had as a result of seeking part-time work. 

What is the most rewarding part of your job? I love it when customers are appreciative of the effort you put into their service.

Is there anything you don't enjoy or find challenging about your job? The complaints! As for the amount of complaints etc you don't get as many as you might initially think, also you just learnt o deal with them. You never take them to heart and you just have to remind yourself at the end of the day you wouldn't be happy if you were the one receiving bad service. As for the complaints regarding menu options etc, you just have to agree, the customers don't seem to understand that the menu options are out of our hands!

As you're working part-time are you also studying? Yes, I'm at University studying Media and Communication.

What career do you hope to pursue with your studies? I hope to go on and do Social Media Marketing. As much as this differs from my current part-time jobs social media comes into everything. Once you get your foot in the door for a well-known company e.g. supermarket chain, you can see if there are any inside opportunities.

Do you have any advice for anyone considering this as their career? My advice would be to gain customer service experience and apply it to any opportunities there are, try not too be too picky or restrictive on where you should or should not apply.

What's you side hustle? My hobbies are blogging and travelling, I occasionally post YouTube videos too. I love being creative outside of my part-time job as its currently doesn't offer me the opportunity to be creative other than making pretty patterns in Latte's!

And finally, the question we all want to know the answer of, what are the perks of the job? The perks of my job involve discounts in the supermarkets and another leading UK store too, so I get great discount on food, clothes and makeup!



A massive thank you to Katie for taking the time to share her job as a Cafe Assistant, I hope your course goes well too! I hope you found this interesting and keep tuned for a lot more interviews, I shall be posting a new 'people who do things' every other Sunday, So your next one will be up on Sunday 2nd December.

If you're in a job that you love make sure to DM me on Instagram @greatestformofflatteryblog and I can feature you!




KEEP SMILING




Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for reading my blog, I'd love you to leave a message. Feel free to leave a link to your blog too and I will check it out.