SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 23 September 2018

People who do things | #7 Chef



I am an avid watcher of many baking and cooking shows so I like to think I've now picked up a few cooking terms which means I'm basically a trained Chef erherm veloute sauce,  I know, pretty impressive. Well today on People Who Do Things we have Josh who's a Chef at The Balcon and he'll be sharing a few of his favourite dishes and how he finds his job....





So as a Chef I can imagine you have some very early and late shifts, what does a typical day look like for you? If I do a double which is 14 hours I start at 9:30am and end at 11:00pm. An early shift, where I'd prep all the meat and fish and make any sauces I need is 8am-4pm and a late is 3pm-11pm.

What training have you done to get to this role? I spent 2 and a half years as an apprentice at the OXO Tower on the South Bank where I worked for 4 days and then went to Westminster Kingsway College for 1 day.

When did you know that you wanted to be a Chef? I did food tech at school and just enjoyed it, in the end though I really just fell into this career when it came to choosing what to do.


Cured and water bathed trout with Lemon Purée, a wasabi Beurre Blanc and nettle  crisps.

What's your career path been so far and where's your favourite job been? It's been an interesting journey, I've maintained a good level and met some, should we say, 'characters' over the last 8 years. The best place was probably Marcus Wareing second restaurant The Gilbery Scott in the Renaissance Hotel Kings Cross.

What advice do you have for others considering this as their profession? It's not an easy career by any stretch of the imagination. It's hard work, grueling hours and the money isn't great. So, honestly I would recommend to only do it if you absolutely love it or looking at doing something outside of the kitchen or doing it as a hobby!

Oh no, If you could pick anyone to have dinner with who would it be? and what would you cook for them? I would have loved to have had the chance to cook for my Grandma to show her what I've learnt. I'd probably cook something sweet, everyone loves chocolate right?!

Is there a chef you aspire to? I take inspiration from lots of different chefs and places, so no not one particular Chef.


Maple glazed quail with a sweet corn relish and Pancetta

If you weren't a Chef what would you be? Single haha

What is your side hustle? I go to watch West Ham a lot as I'm clearly glutton for punishment! I like to entertain and walk my dog when I'm around.

What are the perks of the job? You get to know lots of people from different countries and as you meet lots of people they recommend you to jobs and you get looked after really well.



A massive thank you to Josh for taking the time to share his job as a Chef, I hope you found this interesting and keep tuned for a lot more interviews, I shall be posting a new 'people who do things' every other Sunday, So your next one will be up on Sunday 7th October.


If you're in a job that you love make sure to DM me on Instagram @greatestformofflatteryblog and I can feature you!




KEEP SMILING



Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for reading my blog, I'd love you to leave a message. Feel free to leave a link to your blog too and I will check it out.