SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 9 September 2018

People who do things | #6 Dance Teacher



Today on People Who Do Things we have a brilliant interview with Teresa, a Dance Teacher originally from Bermuda salsa-ed her way over to London to teach you all some moves. She'll be sharing the busy life of a Dance teacher and her thoughts of 'Strictly Come Dancing'...






What style of dance do you teach? Salsa (New York and L.A style), Mambo, Cha Cha, New York Hustle, Technique & Styling and Bachata.

Have you studied any other styles or are you wanting to try any out? I quit Ballet at the age of 5 after just a couple of classes, and didn't do any more dance until a hip hop troupe in Uni, which is also where I saw Salsa for the first time (a classmate took me to an on-campus social after a lecture one day). I've also tried Belly-dancing, Ballet (as an adult), Contemporary/Modern and Jazz. I actually would like to try some Musical Theatre Jazz but without all the cheesy songs!

When did you know that you wanted to be a dancer and did you think you'd also teach it? I never wanted to be a dancer; it just happened. As did teaching...it was all by accident. Well, nothing really happens by accident though does it? Salsa is definitely my path!

What's your career path been to get to this role? I started dancing and teaching in Bermuda 13+ years ago at the Islands only Latin dance school at the time and eventually I got tired of the tiny community and the expensive travel costs to get to congress and festivals. I needed to be in a nonstop dance city in order to train and grow, so I decided London was going to be my new playground. On a reconnaissance trip in London in February 2015 I connected with a couple of dance schools and when I moved to London permanently in December 2015 I started working at one them them which I still do today - Carmelo Latin Dance Academy.

You hear about Ballerinas training all their lives to be able to dance, is this also required for Latin dancers? No formal training here! The Latin social dances are different though. We operate within communities where knowledge is gained in a very organic way: on the social dance floor or in class and workshops. We don't take exams because it's not regulated (and I hope it doesn't ever become that way). Whilst I do think everyone should be educated to a basic level, in order to survive in the real world as a dancer or teacher, some business knowledge is always handy.

Is there a dancer you aspire to? Or a company you'd like to dance with? I'm sure if I named names you wouldn't have a clue who I'm talking about....But for years my (Bermuda) partner and I followed a spectacular team called 'Tropical Gem' of Milan, Italy, I still fan-girl over them now whenever I see them perform, they're out of this world!




What advice do you have for others considering this as their profession? Have a backup plan because your body will fail you long before your mind does. In other words, you can't dance forever, so figure out how you can earn a living in other ways, like teaching, online businesses and investments.

What's the biggest misconception about what you do? OMG don't get me started! (angry face). Everyone assumes I watch 'Strictly Come Dancing', I really have to try and not punch them in the face while I explain that the mess they see on TV is NOT Salsa or any other recognisable dance. It's a terrible watered-down version of Ballroom dances performed to awful music in order to please the masses...

What does a week look like for you in your work diary? I usually teach a maximum of 8 hours per week (group and private lessons), about 8 hours of rehearsals, 1-2 hours of lesson planning, 4-5 hours of social dancing but every week is different!




What's your side hustle? I was also part of a fire performance team in Bermuda - dancing, spinning, playing with fire - I haven't done it since coming to London but it's on my list of things to do this Summer! I also love books and a good Sci-Fi thriller.

And finally, the question we all want to know the answer to, what are the perks of the job?! Seeing students grow and blossom (especially if they're training for performances). As a pro dancer, we often get travel compensation if we're performing or teaching at festivals. The pay is good but inconsistent, so I'm definitely not it it for the money! But best of all, travelling and making new friends around the world that are just as crazy about Salsa as I am!



A massive thank you to Teresa for taking the time to share her job as a Dance Teacher, I hope you found this interesting and keep tuned for a lot more interviews, I shall be posting a new 'people who do things' every other Sunday, So your next one will be up on Sunday 23rd September.


If you're in a job that you love make sure to DM me on Instagram @greatestformofflatteryblog and I can feature you!




KEEP SMILING




Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for reading my blog, I'd love you to leave a message. Feel free to leave a link to your blog too and I will check it out.